London Spring Visit 2015: Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park
Our London Spring Visit took place on Tue 21st April, and was attended by 15 members from Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool, London and Manchester. You can read all about this very informative and enjoyable event in Daphne Chalk-Birdsall’s blog and there might be more write up in the next newsletter, meanwhile, below are some pictures of the day:
1). The Orbit, taken by Norman Ashfield
2). Under the Orbit’s copper bell
3). View of the Copper Box left, and the site of the new Cultural and Education Quarters fenced in lime green on the right.
Left. Art work at the Olympic Park, “Wild Swimmer” a poem by Jo Shapcott. Right. View of the Aquatics Centre designed by Zaha Hadid
Left. The Lee Valley VeloPark by Hopkins Architects. Right. ARCLIers under the Olympic logo with the wonderful Simon Rodway, our guide, on the right.
The organizer would like to thank our Committee for approving the visit, our treasurer Sarah Nicolas for making sure the finance run smoothly, and participants for taking part and making it another great event.
- Above images by Carla Marchesan unless otherwise stated.
ARCLIB Annual Conference 2015
Making Libraries, Making Information, Making Architecture
Arts University Bournemouth 8th – 10th July
Online Registration is now opens http://www.arclib.org.uk/
Closing date 5 June 2015
Wednesday 8th July
Will Strange, Arts University Bournemouth:
- The Architectural Model: Context, Concept, Design and Material Made in Miniature
- Modelmaking Workshop
18:00 Drink Reception
19:00 Supper at the Antelope Pub, Poole
Thursday 9th July
- Kay Towlson, DeMontfort University.
o Visual Learning & the work of PAD
Georgina Dimmock. Northampton University
o Visual Literacy
Simon Beeson, Arts University Bournemouth
o The Architect’s Table: Teaching and Knowing in Architecture
Stephann Makri, City University, London
o Information Seeking, Context and Tools: Architects Information Behaviour
Matt Kibble, Bloomsbury Publishing
o Digital Publishing in Art and Design
17:00 ARCLIB Members Talks
- Lara Lopez Boronat, Foster + Partners: Re-cataloguing the Library at Foster + Partners
- Carla Marchesan, Prince’s Foundation & Prince’s School of Traditional Arts: Report from the CNBA Green Libraries Conference
- Greta Friggens, Portsmouth University: Refurbishing Portsmouth University Library
- Leo Clarey, University of the Arts, London Re-designing the Library space with a live student project
- David Stacey, University of Bath: Promoting the Library – Working with Architects
- Michael Veitch, South Bank University, London: Talis Aspire – The LSBU Experience
19:00 Conference Dinner
- Gulf of Mexico? The Irish Sea actually… Picture perfect by Sarah Nicholas.
Friday 10th July
9:30-10:30 ARCLIB AGM
David Buri, Glasgow School of Art
o Rebuilding the Mackintosh Library
Maurizio Borghi, Bournemouth University
o Copyright and Cultural Institutions, Digitisation and Orphan Works
Ben White, British Library
o Recent Changes in Copyright
Virginia Power, University of the West of England
o Image Copyright
Dr Katherine Ferry.
- English Seaside Architecture and the Culture of the Seaside. A Walking Tour and Lecture on Bournemouth Seafront
Conference Close 16:30
Organizer Andrew Calvert firstname.lastname@example.org